-
October 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Since I had no luck finding any pricing I assume that if you have to ask, you can't afford it: http://www.atma-sphere.com/products/ma3.html
-
October 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
There is a quick mention of "over 30,000" in the description.
-
October 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Given the relatively limited lifespan of tubes run class A, you'd have to have a politician's resources to retube one...hope there's lots of bias pots...even so, it'd take a good day to bias/balance one.
Still, the first OTL that seriously caught my eye. Then I saw the instant and ultimate turn-off...
high end.
-
October 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Yeah, I saw that, but took it as just a 'cheap shot' at a couple of boutique brands that charge that much for a few SET watts. They don't say how far over $30 k though. Considering that folks who buy such things typically are driving > $80 K worth of speakers, spending at least this much on a pair of amps seems reasonable. Then again, they may be the 'bargain basement' choice of ultra high end audio for all I know. I would have to be very wealthy indeed to justify $30+ k for a stereo amp, much less a $60+ k mono pair though. It would have to equate to a few hundred $$$ to the average wage earner or around a $2 m/yr salary for the $30 k unit.
-
October 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by bfish:
Given the relatively limited lifespan of tubes run class A.........
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, like high end and not so high end cars, the entry price is probably but a fraction of the long term maintenance costs, requiring a second set to use while the other is being serviced.
-
October 5th, 2007, 07:48 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Wonder if they make a plenum transition you you could use them for aux. heat?
-
October 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Really! I have part of a 1940 RCA studio/broadcasting architectural and engineering design guide and it notes that a rack of (8) 50 W amps (400 W total) emits ~2 kw of heat in the 'on' position, requiring a blower system to keep the rack's temp < 115 degF, though it's 'only' 560 w in 'standby' mode.
The A-Ts though have no transformers, so not sure how much heat they would emit, but I imagine a pair would heat my listening room even at idle.
-
October 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Back aound 70 I pulled a couple of Dynaco Mk III's from an install- at the foot of the bed they kept my feet warm in Ohio winters.
-
October 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
Tube amps...as sweet as they can be are a turn off
because of the maintenance required. I think a lot of dudes who are spending this money never lived through the tube era and saw the frustration of the audiophiles bitching constantly about not knowing how the amp would sound from one day to the next. With the relative recent resurrgence of tube high end set's, I think very soon a new generation will be getting ready to be dissappointed too.
-
October 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Go here for price list: http://www.atma-sphere.com/products/pricing.html
... it's not as cheap as you hope for ...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks